"Saying No" Cheat Sheet
1. It’s not you, it’s me, and I appreciate you!
- Thank you so much for your enthusiasm and support, I really appreciate it! I can’t take on anything else right now, so I’m not able to do xyz.
- I really appreciate you asking me, but I’m maxed out now and can’t take on anything else.
2. An appreciation sandwich
- Thanks for asking, but that isn’t going to work for me. Good luck on xyz.
- Thanks for asking, but unfortunately that won’t work for me. I hope xyz is a huge success, and I know it will be with you at the helm.
3. No, but here’s a helping hand
- I can’t do it, but I bet Jess or Steve can. I’ll put you in touch with them directly.
- I don’t have time right now, but let me recommend someone who may be able to help you.
4. Simple no
- Thanks, I’ll have to pass on that though.
5. No, I made a promise to myself
- While working with a coach, I made a commitment that I wouldn’t take on any more projects right now. I’m working towards creating more balance in my life. Thanks for your support in helping me make this happen.